Intro To Me

 

Hey you guyyyysssss! (it’s a Goonies reference, I guess you had to be there)... Anyways! My name is Jacob Petersen, but you can call me Jake or Jacob. I am an art major with a focus in graphic design. This is my first semester at CSU-Pueblo and I am super excited to be here! I am originally from Orange County, California but I’ve lived in Colorado for the last three years. My goals are to use my creativity to make things for myself and others to enjoy, to travel to a bunch of places (I’ve only ever been to the states between Colorado and California and not a toe elsewhere), and to be awesome at whatever it is I end up doing with my degree. I enjoy playing Dungeons & Dragons (I am currently working on a campaign to run for my girlfriend of a little over a year), crafting miniatures for my campaigns and gifts for friends, NSP (if you know this band, then you are now officially my friend), and animated films/television shows such as Steven Universe, Yu-gi-oh, My Hero Academia, Big Hero 6, and, above all, Into the Spiderverse.

Interior view, Altneushul synagogue, Prague (photo: Steven Zucker)

For my artwork, I chose the The Altneuschul, located in Prague, Czech Republic (https://smarthistory.org/altneuschul/). I mainly chose this Synagogue for it's Gothic, Roman Catholic, architecture. Gothic architecture, in fact, all medieval architecture, has always spoken to me. I really enjoy the spired qualities and the attention to detail that is found in these structures. All of the ornate designs and, altogether profoundly unnecessary qualities, that are implemented into the ledges, frames, and arches for the sake of the practice and sanctuary that these buildings are made for is astounding. This piece of architecture stood out to me because it was a Jewish synagogue. As Jewish people were very outcast in Europe during the period in which it was built, it was by the hands of their Christian brothers that this place of worship was erected for them to also practice their religion freely. It is an inspiring piece of history that still stands to this day as a Jewish synagogue. I am hoping to visit it next year when I travel to Europe. 
Altneushul, Prague (photo: Øyvind Holmstad, CC BY-SA 3.0)

Comments

  1. Hi Jacob! I never played D&D, but I was always intrigued by it. One day I'll get around to playing it sometime, also I appreciate the Goonies reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jake! I'm from Riverside, California! I hope your families staying safe from the (basically apocalyptic) craziness going on there right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!! I have spent a little time living in Oceasnside, CA, I also have some family from El Cajon. I definitely enjoy this photograph. I have always been really interested in old architecture and not much better place to find it than Europe. P.S Sloth loves Chunk!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jake! My daughter and I wanted to try playing D&D, it looks like fun. I think we saw it on Stranger Things and thought it would be fun. Hope you have a great semester.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unicorn Stamp Seal & Incense Burner

Knossos Palace

The Colosseum